The High Sheriff’s West Midlands Regional meeting was held at the historic St Mary’s College in Sutton Coldfield on Tuesday 29th October. Organised by Chris Loughran, the High Sheriff of West Midlands 2018-2019, the meeting began with a welcome and introduction.
The Canon David Oakley, Rector of St Mary’s, then provided us with an overview of the beautiful church, before the speakers took to the stage. The Hon Hugh Tollemache, Chairman of the High Sheriff’s Association, kicked off the proceedings. He was followed by Mrs Elizabeth Hunter, Link Member to the Regions; Mr John Lee, Link Member to the Regions; Dame Christine Braddock, Former High Sheriff of West Midlands; and His Honour Mel Inman, Honorary Recorder of Birmingham. Following each speaker there was an opportunity to ask questions and discuss any points raised in the speeches.
After a short break, High Sheriff’s from across the region took turns to talk on particular subjects, reviewing activity and identifying any areas for improvement. My topics were Remembrance Sunday and Prison Visits. Other subjects included:
- High Sheriff of Shropshire, Mr Josh Dixey – Themes for the year and fundraising for charities
- High Sheriff of Worcestershire, Mr E W P Holloway – Working with the Mayoralty and the Lieutenancy
- High Sheriff of Warwickshire, Mr Simon Miesegaes – Schools, website and twitter
- High Sheriff of West Midlands, Mr Michael Kuo – Entertaining judges and Administrative support
- High Sheriff of Herefordshire, Mr James Hervey-Bathurst – Entertainment in general
A general Q&A followed, which gave us an opportunity to raise issues and discuss our own experiences. Following lunch, we were all treated to a tour of St Mary’s College, which was led by Fr Paul Keane, Vice Rector of St Mary’s College.
Thank you to Chris Loughran for organising such an informative and enjoyable day. It is my turn next year, when I will be hosting the High Sheriff’s regional meeting in Staffordshire! I look forward to seeing everyone again then.